Weight Loss Counter

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Inches Lost

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Surgery Days

LilySlim Exercise days tickers

Exercise Counter

LilySlim Exercise days tickers

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Use Your Leftovers!!!! (Stuffing Casserole Recipe)



In this economy, we all have to try to find ways to stretch our budget, especially our grocery budget.  One way of doing that is making a whole other meal out of our leftovers.  Yesterday I shared my slow cooker recipe for a whole chicken.  Well, with there being only two of us we had plenty of chicken left.  A great way to stretch meat is....a casserole!  This recipe is very quick and very easy.  Its another one that you can make quite a few different ways.

  • 2 cups chopped leftover chicken
  • 2 -3 cups fresh or frozen vegetables of your choice(I used broccoli this time)
  • 1 can (10 oz) fat free and low sodium cream of chicken
  • 1/3 cup fat free light sour cream
  • 1 box turkey stuffing...or...make your own!


Preheat oven to 400.  In a small bowl, add 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water to the box of  stuffing.  Let it set for a few minutes while the water absorbs.  Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish. (My dish was 11x7 but you can use a 13x9) Spread stuffing evenly over mixture.  Bake for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!

With using the chicken in a casserole, I have enough chicken for ANOTHER meal, which I will probably do a stir fry or something.  Plus, the casserole itself will last us 2 nights, so I paid a little more than $5 for the chicken, and have used it for 4 nights!  I know some people wouldn't want to eat chicken 4 nights in a row, but be creative!  Besides the casserole 2 nights in a row, not a single recipe was like the other.  It will be worth it in the long run.  For my husband and I, most weeks I am able to spend $30 a week on groceries.  It is do-able!

*All ingredients, not including chicken, you can buy for a total of under $5.  If your budget calls for buying canned veggies, make sure you rinse those off a few times to get out as much sodium as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment