Weight Loss Counter

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Inches Lost

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Surgery Days

LilySlim Exercise days tickers

Exercise Counter

LilySlim Exercise days tickers

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Brown Sugar & Ginger Ale Ham



My husband is always saying every time I make ham, "Your ham is so good, but not like my mom's ginger ale ham.".  Well, for ANY good wife, that sounds like a challenge!  So I set out to make my husband the "perfect ham".  Just pouring ginger ale over the ham didn't do the trick.  He liked it, and even said it was as good as his mom's, but that wasn't good enough!  So I added brown sugar (suggested by a friend) and..... WOW!  I do believe I surpassed his mother's ham!  SUCCESS!!!

  • 1 uncooked ham, bone-in or out
  • 2 cups ginger ale
  • @ 2 cups brown sugar
  •   whole cloves (optional)

This part is optional, but ham has TONS of sodium in it.  To take some of that out, 24 hours before cooking it, poke wholes with a knife all over the ham.  Stick in a stock pot full of water, covering the ham.  Let it soak until ready to cook.  Rinse off and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 325.  Make sure to take one rack out of the oven, since that is one thing I ALWAYS forget to do! Put the ham face down in a roasting pan.  Pour one cup of ginger ale over the ham.  Then pat the whole ham with brown sugar.  Add a few cloves if desired.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil or roasting lid.  Cook for 20 min/pound.  Half way through, pour another cup of ginger ale over the ham and then CAREFULLY, it will be hot, pat again with brown sugar for extra sweetness (optional).  Recover, and let finish cooking.  Wait 5 minutes before carving.


No comments:

Post a Comment